Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Thinkings


So here I am, post hibernation: I am that grouchy hungry mama bear who has been trapped in a dark cave all winter with cubs crawling on her fur. Stepping outside to hear the birds sing, remembering the feel of barefeet on the grass, ready to take on the world again. I just put up my first rain barrel today, entirely homemade, now functional. I began the project LAST summer, collecting my parts and plans. All winter I dreamed of it, beat myself up about it, procrastinated it. And now I say, Bring on the Rain! Still, I found myself thinking today, "One rain barrel won't save the world." This is the part motivationist, part self-defeatist voice I have which says, "You can't really save the polar bears, you know. You can't really stop global warming." To that voice I say, "Thank you for reminding me that it always takes a village; to raise a child, to raise a barn, has always taken collective effort. One rain barrel won't save the world, but it will save a lot of rain water!" Two rain barrels will save even more. Imagine every gutter on every house in this entire country going into rain barrels which then water fruit trees, vegetable patches, flower beds all around every house. Imagine the things we can do to our homes, in our homes to take care of ourselves on our own tiny plots. I am so inspired by the dedicated rooftop gardeners in places like New York City. We can do so much more than we think we can. At least, I hope we can. It will take every village to raise our collective consciousness to the next level.
On that note, check out Citizen Mama's newest addition to the family and latest project, as seen above. Yes, imagine every family having a few hens to lay fresh eggs and fertilize the garden! Indeed.

No comments: